When the Union opened its doors in January of 1957, one of the central features of the building was a spacious Student Lounge, complete with a giant fireplace, comfortable furniture, a quiet place to study or relax, and a listening room. Ten or so years later, the building needed more space and the student lounge was partitioned off to make room for the Women’s Resource Center.
Now after nearly 4 decades, the Student Lounge is back! The Women’s Resource Center has moved to a great new office on the fourth floor, and the space has been restored as the new Crimson Student Lounge.
This time around instead of a listening room with LP’s the lounge features a new Union Art Gallery, where students can enjoy rotating exhibits of student and community art.
Another exciting feature is a large screen TV with satellite service for over 100 international broadcast stations so international students can get news from their native countries in their native languages and students studying a foreign language can hear news broadcasts in the language they’re studying.
As in the old lounge, the new Crimson Student Lounge provides study areas and a place to relax and unwind. With the fireplace back, what could be homier?
- Student study and lounge space
- An international media center
- Gas fire logs for the two large fireplaces
- The return of the Union Art Gallery