All Roads Lead to the Union: Newsletter
University of Utah President Ruth V. Watkins held a press conference on Friday, November 2, 2018. During the press conference, reference was made to campus parking changes that include options for students, faculty, and staff to park in “A” lots after 3 pm. This change is part of a series of actions aimed at improving campus safety for students following Lauren McCluskey’s tragic death that occurred on Monday, October 23rd. More specific information including when this change will be implemented will be communicated through Commuter Services in the near future. Students, faculty, and staff are advised to not violate any current parking regulations until an official campus notification is sent.
As a large commuter campus, the University of Utah strives to facilitate parking and commuting in the easiest way possible. For, students, faculty, and staff who spent time in or near the Union, this article features a few reminders regarding campus parking for the Union and broader campus community:
- The construction staging area (the fenced in area) in the Merrill Engineering lot has recently been reduced, freeing up additional U parking stalls in the lot for students utilizing the Merrill Engineering building or the Union.
- On average, there are between 200 – 250 empty stalls in the Guardsman Way lot, even at peak days & times, and it only takes 7 minutes to walk from the Guardsman Way lot to the School of Business.
- U permits are allowed all day on levels 2 & 3 in the LDS Institute garage. Students, faculty, and staff who park there can ride the electric shuttle route which runs from the South Campus TRAX station to the Union, in a continuous loop Monday – Friday beginning at 7:30 am, with stops in front of the Garff Executive Education Building and the LNCO building.
- Parking permits for students, faculty, and staff for Spring Semester 2019 go on sale starting Saturday, December 8th. Permits can be purchased here.
Coming January 7, 2019:
- Commuter Services will be adding a new campus shuttle route from the Guardsman Way lot to the School of Business, which will run in a continuous loop Monday-Friday 8:00 am – 3:30 pm.
- Back by student demand, Commuter Services will be re-introducing the blue routes on campus, connecting students to the Union and beyond; please visit the live shuttle tracker for route information – uofubus.com.
A summary of the current University Regulations can be found on the Commuter Service’s website.
Written by Jose Morales Diaz